Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Finally Done With The Log Cabin/Humming Bird Quilt

So this is what I have been so busy with for the last 2 1/2 weeks . A friend of mine wanted me to make a quilt for her Mother for Christmas . She told me her Mother loves Humming Birds and if I could add some .
This is how it looked before the applique was added . Still on the design wall. Its a full size quilt and I am so used to working on large quilts that this one seems very small .I made the log cabin block by doing Paper piecing.The block size is 7 x7 ....I know ,I know,it took a lot of blocks but I like to Paper Piece.......

The fabric is mostly from my scrap box and some from the stash. I used only light to med. colored fabric . and white,beige,off white ,cream for the back ground and light side of the log cabin . I quilted it by doing the 'stitch in the ditch' .

I am happy with the way it came out .Hope she enjoys it!!



I had fun with the applique . I really learned a lot doing this quilt ....


Merry Christmas !!



9 comments:

Elaine said...

This quilt is gorgeous. I love how you did the applique on top of the log cabin. The colors are also very nice.

Diana LaMarre said...

Betty,
That is beautiful! I love the light-colored logs behind that gorgeous applique. The hummingbird is the first thing that catches my eye. I just know the recipient will love this quilt--I cannot imagine anyone who would not be thrilled with this gift.

Bethany said...

Your quilt is gorgeous. I love hummingbirds which makes this quilt extra special.

QuiltSue said...

What a stunning quilt. I love everything about it.

daisyduke53 said...

Hi,Love the appliqué. The bird and flowers are gorgeous.Good work,you should enter it and the heart bargello in a contest. You would win the highest award with honors. Love to see your works. lol camille

vgautreaux said...

Such a beautiful quilt. Love the hummingbirds!

vgautreaux said...

Such a beautiful quilt. Love the hummingbirds!

Sewing Junkie said...

Love the log cabin quilt. I have one to quilt too. The light centers I have sewn in to the center and want to applique the light centers. Hope you had a Merry Christmas. Chris

Maureen said...

Beautiful! You did an excellent job with both the log cabin blocks and the hummingbirds.